Wednesday 31 August 2011

The only thing we have to be is ourselves.


This was basically the essence of Rob Bell’s talk that I referred to in my last post about Greenbelt, but it’s been on my mind a lot.

Someone commented today that the talk sounded like the purpose of my blog – to inspire people to be ... whatever they can be. I’ve written before about using our own unique talents to create something, or to do some good in the world, and I just want to reiterate that really.

I wrote a piece of mildly creative writing today in an email, and the recipient asked me: ‘How do you write like that?!’ I responded that it’s just my talent, I guess. I equally cannot understand how this person creates the brilliant artwork she does, when I can barely manage to even draw a stickman!

But it doesn’t matter – we all have our own abilities: I can write, she can draw, someone else can make pottery, and another can tend gardens.

So often we try to be like someone else, or to emulate the achievements of one of our idols or role models. I say: ‘Stop!’ Don’t try and be like someone else, just be yourself. Do what you’re good at, and do it to the best of your ability. That will be far more impressive than copying someone else – and far more satisfying.

I think I’d rather someone said: ‘He’s a really good writer’ than: ‘He writes like Jon Mcgregor’ (not that I ever imagine I’ll be as good as him!). It says something about me, rather than someone else and, after all, it is all about me... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment