Sunday 21 August 2011

Music to 'be' to.


This summer, for a variety of reasons, I’m doing a lot of travelling around the country and it’s got me thinking about the soundtracks to my life.

Music plays a big part in my life and, at certain times, there’ve been songs that have provided the backing track, and are then forever associated with the memory of that time/event.

So, having arrived back home from one of my travels just now, I thought I’d share some of the songs that are on the soundtrack to my, so far outstanding, summer. Hopefully they might serve to bring you some good memories too!

1) Mat Kearney.
I love pretty much everything on this guy’s debut album, 'Young Love' and have had it on repeat since I got it last week. This song in particular stands out for me at the moment though:


2) Keith Urban – Somebody Like You
This is a song I’ve liked for a long time, but the CD found its way back into my car stereo in recent months. Great driving music...



3) Noah and the Whale – L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N
This band’s latest album, ‘Last Night On Earth’ is a cracker. And no track is better than this one.


4) Bebo Norman – Perhaps She’ll Wait
I think this is just a beautiful song, and it really resonates with me:


5) Martyn Joseph – Seahorse
I didn’t like this at first, because I didn’t think that being a ‘seahorse’ was particularly poetic. But as I listened to the lyrics and thought about the meaning, I changed my mind. Love it now, and the album ‘Under Lemonade Skies’ it comes from.


6) Jason Mraz – Wordplay
No playlist is complete without a Jason Mraz song. Fact. And this just happens to be one of favourites!


7) MxPx – Move to Bremerton
Another band that made their way back onto my listening list, largely because I’d run out of anything else in my car I wanted to listen to! But I remembered how much I love some of their stuff!


8) Owl City – The Real World
Yes, I know he’s supposedly not cool, but I don’t really care about that; sometimes what you need is a bit of sugar-coated synthesiser pop. And this one has particularly good lyrics, I think!


9) Coldplay – Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall
Again, I know it’s not really fashionable to admit to liking Coldplay anymore, but I do. And I think their latest track is one of their finest ever.


10) Elbow – Dear Friends
When I first heard this song early in the summer, it really moved me. ‘Dear friends, you are angels and drunks, you are magi.’ Seemed to some up ‘my’ crowd pretty well! Love you all, folks. I dunno where I’d be without you. :)



Enjoy the rest of your summer! What's on your soundtrack?

No comments:

Post a Comment